Scarthoe Mill, 1870; (Heaton’s Post Mill, Scartho c1910 copy).
An original, F.W. Series postcard published by San Bride of Middlesborough. This postcard originally belonged to Colebrook, Flottergate, Grimsby. This would’ve been Henry Colebrook, corn & flour dealer, 21 Flottergate, Grimsby. Henry Colebrook was also the miller at Scartho in an around 1905.
Heaton’s Mill was a post mill on an old site. The mill operated until it was replaced by a five-sail tower mill in 1870. Both mills stood in the same yard for a while until the post mill was demolished. John Heaton was the miller from the 1850s until sometime in the 1870s.
Note: John Heaton (Senior) was born in Beelsby in c1794. He was a corn miller in Scartho in 1861, aged 67. John Heaton (Junior) was born in Grimsby in 1829. He was the corn miller at Scartho Mill in 1861, aged 31. John Heaton (Junior) was still the corn miller at Scartho Mill in 1871. His father, described as a retired tradesman, was also living at Scartho Mill.
Note: John Heaton (Senior) and John Heaton (Junior), aged 57 and 22, were both corn millers living in the Bull Ring, Grimsby in 1851.
Note: John Heaton (Senior) died in 1880, aged 86. John Heaton (Junior) died on 6th March 1915, aged 86. He was a retired miller living at 49 Yarborough Street. John Heaton (Junior) is buried in Scartho Road Cemetery.
Note: The Scartho mills were accessed via a lane between Cragston Avenue and Millfield Avenue.
Note: Henry Colebrook (1856-1934) was a farmer in Scartho and Bradley by 1921.
Note: The man at the top of the sail.
Research by Grimsby & Cleethorpes Museum.





