Grimsby through time

Grimsby Timeline

c. 876–886 AD

The First Settlement of Grimsby

Following the arrival of the Great Heathen Army in England in 865–866 AD, Scandinavian settlers began establishing permanent communities across Lincolnshire and the former Kingdom of Lindsey. It was during this late 9th-century period, after the division of territory and the establishment of the Danelaw, that Grimsby is thought to have developed as a permanent settlement beside the Haven. The settlement’s Scandinavian name, Grimesbi — meaning “Grim’s village” or “Grim’s settlement” — reflects its Viking origins.

1086

Grimsby appears in the Domesday Book

Grimsby is recorded in the Domesday Book as Grimesbei, in the hundred of Bradley, Lincolnshire. It had 32.5 recorded households, representing a population of roughly 200 people, making it one of the larger settlements recorded in the survey. The settlement had a priest, mill and ferry, and was valued at £30 a year to its lord, Odo, Bishop of Bayeux, half-brother of William the Conqueror.

March 1201

Grimsby Receives its First Royal Charter

King John witnessed the sealing of Great Grimsby’s first Royal Charter, granting important rights and privileges to the town’s burgesses, or Free Men. Four days later, a second charter granted Grimsby a 15-day annual fair, beginning on 25 May, encouraging trade and attracting merchants. The tradition of the Free Men continues today through the Enrolled Freemen of Grimsby, whose connection with the town’s markets is reflected in Freeman Street Market, established in 1873. Grimsby’s charter came 14 years before Magna Carta; the original document has unfortunately been lost.

1556

Grimsby’s Stone Bridge

A stone bridge was built across the West Haven, replacing an earlier wooden crossing and linking the town with the West Marsh. Known as Stone Bridge, it stood where Flottergate crossed the Haven, near the site of today’s Freshney Place. Its dedication stone records Michael Hempringham and Christopher Ayliffe as paying for the bridge; part of the stone is now preserved in the Borough’s museum stores. The bridge was also associated with Grimsby’s ducking stool, where alleged scolds could be publicly punished by immersion in the Haven.

March 1607

Gervase Holles born

9 March 1607 – Gervase Holles, lawyer, antiquarian and future MP for Grimsby, was born (baptised in Grimsby on 13 March 1607).

March 1848

The Railway Comes to Grimsby

On 1 March 1848, two railway routes reached Grimsby on the same day: the Great Northern Railway, operating the leased East Lincolnshire Railway, opened its line from Louth, while the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway opened its line from New Holland. An agreed through service linked the two routes, opening national markets to Grimsby's growing fishing industry and allowing fresh fish to be carried rapidly inland.

March 1862

Grimsby Dock Tower is completed

Completed on 27 March 1852, the 309-foot tower housed a 30,000-gallon reservoir, providing hydraulic power for the new dock’s lock gates, sluices and cranes. Designed by architect James William Wild under the supervision of engineer J. M. Rendel, it became one of the most remarkable landmarks of Victorian engineering. Queen Victoria formally opened the Tower during her visit to Grimsby in October 1854, when she and Prince Albert toured the new Royal Dock.

1863

Grimsby Town Hall

1863 – Grimsby's landmark Italianate Town Hall was completed on Six Acres Field. It remains the town's principal civic building and the home of North East Lincolnshire Council.

1869

Edward Bannister, Grimsby’s Great Benefactor

In 1869, during his second year as Mayor of Grimsby, Edward John Bannister presented the town with a magnificent memorial drinking fountain, originally erected in Albert Gardens. A successful coal merchant, landscape artist and philanthropist, Bannister used his wealth to support numerous civic, charitable and artistic causes, including Grimsby Hospital and the town’s first Art School. He also donated the clock tower for the Central Market and played an important role in the development of the town’s public library. He remained one of Grimsby’s leading benefactors until his death in 1916, aged 94.

September 1878

Grimsby Town Football Club is Founded

On 20 September 1878, members of Worsley Cricket Club met at the Wellington Arms on Freeman Street and formed a football club originally named Grimsby Pelham, after the family name of the Earl of Yarborough. Football provided the cricketers with a sport to play during the winter months. Their first recorded match was played later that year against Brigg. The club became Grimsby Town in 1879 and initially played at Clee Park, with a brief spell at Lovett Street, before moving to Abbey Park and eventually Blundell Park in 1899. Its early teams wore a variety of colours and designs before the famous black-and-white stripes were adopted in 1910.

September 1899

Grimsby Town Moves to Blundell Park

On 2 September 1899, Grimsby Town played its first match at its new home, Blundell Park, having moved from Abbey Park. Town drew 3–3 with Luton Town in front of around 4,000 spectators. Two stands were brought from Abbey Park and re-erected at the new ground, including the Abbey Park Stand and Hazel Grove Stand. Blundell Park has been Grimsby Town’s home ever since.

June 1907

The Beresford Plan

Admiral Lord Charles Beresford recognised the value of Grimsby's large trawler fleet for wartime minesweeping and recommended that its fishermen and vessels be prepared for naval service. His proposal led to practical minesweeping trials using Grimsby trawlers the following year.

August 1914

HMS Pekin Mobilises

At the outbreak of the First World War, Grimsby's trawlers were requisitioned for naval service and HMS Pekin became the Auxiliary Patrol shore base at Grimsby. It served as the command centre for minesweepers operating from the port.

March 1936

Grimsby Town Reach the FA Cup Semi-Final

On 21 March 1936, Grimsby Town reached the FA Cup semi-final for the first time, following memorable victories over Manchester City and Middlesbrough. They faced eventual winners Arsenal at Leeds Road, Huddersfield, before a crowd of 63,210. Arsenal won 1–0, with Cliff Bastin scoring the only goal. It was the first of two FA Cup semi-final appearances during Grimsby’s remarkable 1930s Golden Era.

March 1939

Grimsby Town’s Biggest Day

On 25 March 1939, Grimsby Town reached the FA Cup semi-final for the second time, facing Wolverhampton Wanderers at Old Trafford. A record 76,962 spectators watched – still the largest attendance ever recorded at the ground. First-choice goalkeeper George Tweedy was suffering from flu, so George Moulson made his debut, but he was injured early in the match. With substitutes not permitted, Jack Hodgson went in goal and Town played with ten men. Wolves eventually won 5–0, but the remarkable occasion remains one of the greatest days in Grimsby Town’s history.

September 1939

Grimsby becomes Britain's largest minesweeping base

At the outbreak of the Second World War, Grimsby again became Britain's largest base for minesweepers. Royal Naval Patrol Service trawlers and other vessels sailed from the docks to clear mines and keep vital shipping routes through the Humber and North Sea open.

May 1941

HMS 'Grimsby' is Sunk

HMS 'Grimsby', a Royal Navy sloop built at Devonport, visited the town after her launch, from 27 June to 3 July 1934, before sailing for the China Station. Following the outbreak of war she returned to Britain and later transferred to the Mediterranean. On 25 May 1941, while escorting the tanker 'Helka' towards besieged Tobruk, Grimsby was damaged by Italian Air Force Ju 87 Stukas. Later that day, German Luftwaffe Ju 87s attacked the damaged ship and sank her about 40 miles north-east of Tobruk, with the loss of 11 of her crew. News of her sinking was overshadowed by the loss of HMS 'Hood' the previous day.

June 1943

Butterfly Bomb raid on Grimsby, Cleethorpes and Great Coates

14 June 1943 – Grimsby, Cleethorpes and Great Coates were subjected to Britain's only large-scale Luftwaffe Butterfly Bomb raid. At least 67 people were killed and 144 injured in one of the world's earliest large-scale attacks employing cluster munitions against a civilian population.

July 1945

HMS Beaver Stands Down

HMS Beaver, the Royal Navy shore establishment for the Humber with its base office at Grimsby, was stood down in July 1945 as the wartime naval organisation was dismantled. Grimsby's great wartime minesweeping operation was drawing to a close.

September 1968

Grimsby Central Library Opens

Grimsby Central Library was officially opened on 13 September 1968 by the town's MP, Anthony Crosland. Built between 1966 and 1968 to replace the permanent library lost during the Second World War, the striking modern building was designed by Borough Architect J. M. Milner following extensive research by Borough Librarian E. H. Trevitt. It became a symbol of Grimsby's post-war renewal and remains one of the town's finest examples of modern civic architecture.

August 2025

Grimsby Town Defeat Manchester United

27 August 2025 – In one of the greatest nights in Grimsby Town's history, the Mariners eliminated Manchester United from the Carabao Cup, winning 12–11 on penalties after a dramatic 2–2 draw at Blundell Park.