150 years in the life of Cleethorpes Pier (2022).
Construction started in 1872 and continued until 1875. The pier was built by Head Wrightson of Thornaby-on-Tees, North Yorkshire for the Cleethorpes Promenade Pier Company and was financed by the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway. The original length of the pier was 1,200 feet (366m).
The pier was most probably opened on a Bank Holiday in 1873 or 1875.
A pavilion was built at the end of the pier in 1888. This was destroyed by fire in 1903. The current pavilion was built part way down the pier in 1905. Pier shops were built at the same time.
The pier was breached behind the pavilion during the early part of the Second World War because of the fear of invasion. The elevated section over the promenade was also removed. The isolated section of the pier was demolished after the war as no funding could be found to replace the gap. This left a much reduced pier just 335 feet (102m) long.
The ownership of the pier passed to the council in 1936 when Cleethorpes gained borough status. It has been in private ownership since 1981.
The pavilion became a concert hall in 1968. The Nolan Sisters topped the bill at the Pier for a season in 1979. Other big names in entertainment performed at the venue.
The pavilion opened as ‘Pier 39’, a modern nightclub, in 1985.
Following a series of refurbishments and reincarnations, the pier was purchased by the Papa’s Fish & Chips chain in 2016. It is said to be the largest fish and chip restaurant in the country.





