Grimsby Hall (Clayton’s Hall) in 1830; a painting by George Skelton (1854-1932) 1895
Photo999of2,343

Grimsby Hall (Clayton’s Hall) in 1830; a painting by George Skelton (1854-1932) 1895.

GrimsbyHome

An original watercolour painting on wove paper and in its original gilt wood frame. “Grimsby Hall” was also called “Clayton’s Hall”. On the back of the painting it says: “Grimsby Hall” was the home of the late William Marshall Esq. J.P., D.L. This House was sold to the Earl of Yarborough who pulled it down (say about 1832). “Yarboro’ Terrace” now occupies the site. “The Old Baronial Hall” which occupied the site previous to the erection of this (as pictured here) belonged to Sir Martin de la See about 1524. When he planted a ? tree which can …………… There’s a lot more but, unfortunately, it’s impossible to read. Grimsby Hall / Clayton’s Hall was in Baxter Gate East. The road is now called Victoria Street, Grimsby’s main shopping Street. Yarborough Terrace occupied the same site. Immediately opposite stood a fine row of trees before which a town pump once stood. Yarborough Terrace was demolished in late Victorian times, after this painting was painted. The site is now occupied by shops.

George Skelton was a landscape, architectural and historical painter in watercolours and oils. Some of his works were based on line drawings etc. from earlier times, as here. He obviously had an interest in local history as well as art, music, natural history and collecting. Some of George Skelton’s artworks are in Grimsby Fishing Heritage Centre’s collection.

George Skelton was born in Grimsby on 12th September 1854. His parents were John Skelton (1800-1881), a bone merchant/land owner/gentleman/Vice-Consul to Denmark, and Harriet Skelton (née Rushby) (1818-1869) who married in 1845. George was a banker’s clerk for the Hull Banking Co. The Skelton family lived at 43 Pasture Street. George never married. He later lived at “Armathwaite”, Abbey Park Road, Grimsby together with his sister-in-law, Eliza Skelton and niece, May Skelton. It is believed that George Skelton was the cousin of George Skelton Stephenson J.P., M.D., M.B., C.M., physician and surgeon. George Skelton died on 15th July 1932. He is buried at Keelby.

Research by Grimsby & Cleethorpes Museum. ——————–

Note: George Skelton’s parents are buried at Stallingborough. Note: A Louisa Skelton lived at “The Gables”, Abbey Park Road circa 1929 to 1931.