Concert Hall and Pier, Cleethorpes c1911
Photo852of2,343

Concert Hall and Pier, Cleethorpes c1911.

Cleethorpes

Cleethorpes Pier was built in the period between 1872 and 1875 by Head Wrightson, with its official opening thought to have been in August 1873. A pier-head concert hall was built in 1888 but was destroyed by fire in 1903. The Pavilion (new concert hall) was built near the shore in 1905 and a café and shops on the site of the original building.

An original pictorial postcard produced by “JAY EM JAY GY. SERIES” (Jackson & Son, Grimsby) and printed in Germany for Albert Gait of 62 High Street, Cleethorpes. Albert Gait was a very well known printer and stationer located in Grimsby.

Albert Gait (1834-1907) was born in Shepton Mallet in Somerset. He was a printer, bookseller at stationer at 13 Market Place, Grimsby by 1861. He built up a very well-known business. The book/stationery shop was at 13 Old Market Place for over 110 years. He founded the large printing works on Victoria Street. The association of the name Gait and printing disappeared from Grimsby following the closing of Wyndeham Gait, printers, in 2015.

Research by Grimsby & Cleethorpes Museum.

2023 is the 150th anniversary of the opening of the pier.

The postcard was posted in Cleethorpes on August 7th 1911 by F & S who were staying at 50 Bursar Street, Cleethorpes. The recipients were Mr & Mrs Jos. Pinder, c/o Misses Chadwick & South, 34 Princes Street, Southport.

The card reads, ” We landed here about 11-15, having a good through train from St Dunstans (Bradford). The weather has been very changeable but today is champion. Cleethorpes is a very busy place. Hoping along with you to have good holidays”.

Note: Charlotte Chadwick, widow, and her daughter, Mary Ann South, ran a boarding house at 34 Princes Street, Southport in 1911.