‘Sheldon’ GY.696 c1915.
An original photograph.
The steam trawler ‘Sheldon’ GY.696 was built in 1912 by Cook, Welton & Gemmell of Beverley for Standard Steam Fishing Co. Ltd. She was requisitioned by the Royal Navy in 1915 for use as a minesweeper / bomb thrower No. FY 1407. Returned in 1919.
In 1940, ‘Sheldon’ GY.696 was sold to Sir Thomas Robinson & Son, Grimsby. Later that year, she was requisitioned by the Royal Navy as an auxiliary patrol vessel No. FY 4.143. In 1941, she was repurposed as minesweeper / fuel carrier No. Y 7.38. In January 1945, she was returned to the owner.
On 30th January 1953, ‘Sheldon’ GY.696 left Kirkwall for the Færoese fishing grounds. The next day she was presumed to have sunk in storm force conditions 60 miles north west of Dennis Head. The vessel was posted missing, lost with all hands.
Note: The men on the photograph are all wearing naval uniforms.
Note: A stained glass window in The Fisherman and Seaman Memorial Chapel, Grimsby Central Hall, Duncombe Street shows ‘Sheldon’ GY.696 steaming at full speed ahead together with the names of the crew.





