‘Ross Tiger’ GY.398 1981.
From the original negative.
‘Ross Tiger’ GY.398 was built for Derwent Trawlers Ltd. by Cochrane and Sons Ltd., Selby in 1957. In 1985, ‘Ross Tiger’ was sold to Cam Shipping and was renamed ‘Cam Tiger’. She was converted at Priors Slip, Lowestoft for use as an oil-rig supply ship and she returned to Grimsby later the same year.
Once out of the water, from 1990, ‘Cam Tiger’ had her propellor and rudder removed and the apertures sealed. The hull was shot blasted and coated with a preservative paint. She was restored to a trawler and renamed ‘Ross Tiger’ and sold to the local council to become the star attraction alongside the Grimsby Fishing Heritage Centre.
The vessel behind is another of the famous ‘cat boats’, ‘Ross Panther’ GY.519. ‘Ross Panther’ GY.519 was built by Cochrane & Sons Ltd. of Selby, for Derwent Trawlers Ltd. of Grimsby. She was launched in 1957 and completed in April 1958. ‘Ross Panther’ was owned by Ross Trawlers, Yorkshire Trawlers, British United Trawlers and G. F. Sleight. In May 1985, she was converted into the standby vessel ‘Cam Panther’ (by Globe Engineering (Hull) Ltd.). She still worked out of Grimsby. On 4th June 1992, ‘Cam Panther’ was sold to H. Webster & Sons and breaking up commenced at Grimsby (or Killingholme Haven) in December 1992. Unlike other Cat Boats, this one didn’t have an extended life beyond 1992. Perhaps she had an inherent problem?





