The Park, Grimsby c1903.
An original, unposted picture postcard belonging to Dorothy Dowling. The publisher is unknown. There is space beside the picture for a message but on the back it reminds the writer that the Post Office regulated, in 1902, that communications could also be written on the left hand side of the back. This dates the postcard to around the time of the new regulation in 1902.
The picture shows the original bandstand on the right and the “Queen’s Observatory” (“Southworth’s Folly”) on the left. The Observatory was opened by the Mayoress in 1900. It had a spiral staircase with a step for every year of the Queen’s life. The tower gradually deteriorated and in 1940 the iron railings and columns were sold. The tower was then in a dangerous condition. It was demolished in 1949.
Note: The exact position of the tower can be located from old photographs.





