Skip to main content
About
George Street Wesleyan Chapel, Grimsby c1912
Photo671of2,360

George Street Wesleyan Chapel, Grimsby c1912.

Grimsby

An original, unposted photographic postcard byKingsway Real Photo Series’ (WHS logoW. H. Smith). On the reverse is beautifully written, “Went to this placeGeorge Stin George St. Grimsby Circuit on 14th June 1914. Larger than Dinkin St. In Evening was at South Parade also a large chapellarger than Wesley Grantham.”

The chapel was opened in 1847 and closed in 1953. It was demolished in 1955. The foundation stone was laid in 1846 by Christopher Coates of Beelsby. The chapel is also linked to the wealthy Sowerby family who farmed in Aylesby, Cuxwold, Beelsby and East Ravendale.

Grimsby Central Library is opposite where this chapel once stood. New Oxford House now stands on the exact location.