George Street Wesleyan Chapel, Grimsby c1912
Photo666of2,343

George Street Wesleyan Chapel, Grimsby c1912.

Grimsby

An original, unposted photographic postcard by ‘Kingsway Real Photo Series’ (WHS logo – W. H. Smith). On the reverse is beautifully written, “Went to this place – George St – in George St. Grimsby Circuit on 14th June 1914. Larger than Dinkin St. In Evening was at South Parade also a large chapel – larger than Wesley Grantham.”

The chapel was opened in 1847 and closed in 1953. It was demolished in 1955. The foundation stone was laid in 1846 by Christopher Coates of Beelsby. The chapel is also linked to the wealthy Sowerby family who farmed in Aylesby, Cuxwold, Beelsby and East Ravendale.

Grimsby Central Library is opposite where this chapel once stood. New Oxford House now stands on the exact location.