George Street Wesleyan Chapel, Grimsby c1905
Photo657of2,343

George Street Wesleyan Chapel, Grimsby c1905.

Grimsby

An original photograph mounted on cardboard. (Larger than a postcard.) Possibly by Shaw.

The chapel was opened in 1847 and closed in 1953. It was demolished in 1955. The foundation stone was laid in 1846 by Christopher Coates of Beelsby. The chapel is also linked to the wealthy Sowerby family who farmed in Aylesby, Cuxwold, Beelsby and East Ravendale.

Grimsby Central Library is opposite where this chapel once stood. New Oxford House now stands on the exact location.

Note the window cleaner.