Drinking fountain presented to the people of Grimsby by Edward Bannister in 1869; a 1979 photo.
From the original slide processed in June 1979.
Mayor Edward John Bannister presented the canopied, cast iron drinking fountain to the town in 1869. It originally stood at the corner of Albert Gardens on Cleethorpe Road, Grimsby and then spent some years in storage. The fountain was restored and painted in 1977 for the Silver Jubilee and was installed in St James’ Square. It was Grade II Listed in 1999 and, soon afterwards, was returned to storage.
Parts of the fountain were recently discovered in a reclamation yard and were brought back to Grimsby. Hopefully, the fountain will eventually be brought back to something like its former glory.





