‘Elk’ GY.1235 arriving Grimsby 1920s.
From the original image.
Built in 1902 by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd., Beverley for Morris & Fisher Ltd., Grimsby. In 1914, she was requisitioned by the Royal Navy for use as a minesweeper (HMT ‘Elk II’ No. FY 706). In 1918, she was sold to Victoria Steam Fishing Co. Ltd., Grimsby and reverted to FV ‘Elk’ GY.1235. In 1929, she went to Milford Haven as ‘Elk’ M.36. In 1939, she was requisitioned as a marker buoy layer (HMT ‘Elk’ No. FY 4.24). In 1940, she was sunk by a mine near the Penlee Point entrance to Plymouth Sound. All the crew were rescued.
‘Elk’ was re-discovered by divers in 1981 and, in 1983, she was the subject of a wreck search project by Plymouth Polytechnic and was surveyed using side scan sonar for many years after. ‘Elk’ has been much dived and has been stripped of brass and other fittings. For more information, read about HMT ‘Elk’ on ‘The Ships Project’.





