Weelsby Road Halt Station 1933.
A detail from an original photograph by Lowthian Bros, photographers, 84 Welholme Road, Grimsby. This is not a postcard.
The station was opened in 1905 and closed in 1940. The level crossing was replaced by an underpass which was built in 1935/36. The underpass was filled in in 1998 when the route of the railway was to become Peaks Parkway.
The No. 10 Old Market-Old Clee bus in the photo, FW 3763, was a Daimler CP6 with a Willowbrook body. She was new in April 1933 and was withdrawn from service in 1951. This dates the photo to April/May 1933.
Harry (1860-1947) and Charles Lowthian (1861-1898) were born in Manchester. They were sons of Jabez Lowthian, artist, of Keswick, Cumberland. They moved to Grimsby in the 1880s and set up as Lowthian Bros., professional photographers, in Freeman Street. Charles Lowthian later set up a photographic studio in Cleethorpes. He married Harriet Charles in Grimsby in 1887. Sadly, he died in 1898, aged just 37. Studio photographs by C. Lowthian, as opposed to Lowthian Bros., are rare as he died at such a young age. Harry continued in business at 144/146 Freeman Street, Grimsby and at 84 Welholme Road, Grimsby. Harry retired before 1939 and died in 1947, aged 89.





