Grimsby Chums Battalion marching along Cleethorpe Road, Grimsby 1914.
An original, unposted, 1914 photographic postcard published by the Photo Dept., Porri’s News Bureau (P.N.B.), Grimsby. The pub in the background of the photo is the ‘Sheffield Arms’, near Riby Square. (Freeman Street is off to the right, out of sight.)
The Grimsby Chums was a WW1 ‘Pals Battalion’, the only ‘Pals Battalion’ to be called ‘Chums’. They were a group of men who were all raised in and around Grimsby. They became officially known as the 10th (Service) Battalion, The Lincolnshire Regiment when men from neighbouring towns were recruited to form an entire battalion for Kitchener’s army.
In February 1918 the battalion moved to the 103rd Brigade 34th Division. The 10th battalion was disbanded on 3rd June 1919. A memorial was erected in St James’ Church, Grimsby to the memory of the 810 members of the 10th (Service) Battalion who were killed in action or died in service.
Note: At full strength, a battalion had 35 officers and 1000 men.





