Hainton Street (later Avenue) – Hainton Square – Freeman Street c1920
Photo488of2,343

Hainton Street (later Avenue) – Hainton Square – Freeman Street c1920.

Grimsby

A detail from an original, unposted, real photographic postcard by The Doncaster Rotophoto Co. Ltd. This company produced exceptionally sharp photographic postcards between 1918 and 1923 which makes dating them relatively easy.

Note the trams heading up and down Freeman Street. (The tracks doubled up as they entered Freeman Street.) The large building on the right is ‘Park Villa’, Eleanor Street. In 1881, it was the home of the home of James Carter White, retired butcher. In 1891, it was the home of John W. Haycock, smack owner. In 1901, it was the home of James C, White, chemist / druggist, aged 34. In 1911, it was the the home of John Fletcher, pork butcher (of Monkey, Pig & Pie Shop fame). Alderman John Fletcher died in 1924. The building still stands but looks somewhat different. The Grimsby Cyclists’ Club had their Club House at this location. Many will remember passing by there and seeing the penny farthing bicycle in an elevated position.

On the left hand side of Freeman Street, at 258 & 260, is Boulton & Skelton, family chemists, drug stores and ophthalmic opticians. Moiser’s, baby carriages and sewing machine makers at 254 & 256, Freeman Street is behind. Moiser’s shop closed its doors for the last time in 2020.