Posters on the end wall of the Prince of Wales Theatre, Freeman Street c1910.
A detail from an original postcard.
Henry James’s Curry’s Prince of Wales Theatre opened in 1884. Henry’s son, Councillor Joseph Henry Curry, became his assistant manager. The theatre was demolished in 1936 and replaced by the Regal Cinema (later the ABC Cinema).
The poster near the bottom left of the end wall of the theatre is advertising ‘The Prodigal Son’ by Hall Caine. This was a best-selling novel published in November 1904. Caine also adapted his novel into a play which opened in 1905 and, after a long run in London, was revived in 1907.
Note: Henry James Curry was born in Kent in 1846. He lived at Gordon House (Gordon Villa) which was the location of Campbell Keay’s dental practice for many decades. Henry James Curry died in Grimsby in 1907.
Note: Joseph Henry Curry was born in Hull in 1867. He lived at 206 Hainton Avenue. He was mayor of Grimsby in 1921. Joseph Henry Curry died in Grimsby in 1958.





