Coronation Day 1911; children outside “Park Villa” on Eleanor St. – Freeman St. corner
Photo405of2,343

Coronation Day 1911; children outside “Park Villa” on Eleanor St. – Freeman St. corner.

Grimsby

An original, unposted, real photographic postcard by J. S. Bullen of Grimsby. The coronation of King George V and Queen Mary took place at Westminster Abbey on 22nd June 1911.

Three of the children in the picture are wearing their Coronation medal. The gilt brass medals, from J. Whiteley Wilkin, Mayor, were given to all children.

In 1891, “Park Villa” was the home of the home of James Carter White, retired butcher. In 1891, it was the home of John W. Haycock, smack owner. In 1901, it was the home of James C, White, chemist / druggist, aged 34. In 1911, it was the the home of John Fletcher, pork butcher (of Monkey, Pig & Pie Shop fame). Alderman John Fletcher died in 1924. The building still stands but looks somewhat different. The Grimsby Cyclists’ Club had their Club House at this location. Many will remember passing by there and seeing the penny farthing bicycle in an elevated position.

The photographer, Joseph Samuel Bullen, was an Irishman. He worked in Grimsby and Louth from c1905 until c1937. His studios were in Freeman Street and later in Welholme Road.

Research by Grimsby & Cleethorpes Museum.