H. Colebrook & Son, Flottergate and Red Hill, Grimsby, c.1970–71
A poignant view of H. Colebrook & Son, the long-established Grimsby business specialising in dog and poultry food, on the corner of Flottergate and Red Hill. The shop carries the words “Dog & Poultry Foods”, with advertisements for Winalot, Vims and Sherley's, as well as appliances. The name H. Colebrook & Son is displayed prominently above the shopfront. Earlier trade directories confirm the Colebrook business at 19 and 21 Flottergate.
A white-painted message across the window and door announces that the business had moved to 3 Margaret Street, off Hainton Avenue. The move was taking place as this old part of central Grimsby was being cleared for redevelopment.
Particularly precious is the RED HILL street sign, still attached to the corner of the building. Red Hill was part of the old street pattern of central Grimsby, and the sign provides a surviving record of a street that has long since disappeared.
At the extreme left is part of Flottergate Primitive Methodist Church, opened on 23 May 1880 and closed on 15 November 1970. It was demolished in early 1971, shortly after this photograph was taken. The chapel was a substantial building, designed to accommodate 1,000 worshippers, with extensive schoolrooms and other facilities.
The photograph therefore captures a remarkable moment of transition: H. Colebrook & Son was moving out, the chapel was about to disappear, and the old Flottergate neighbourhood was being swept away by Grimsby's town-centre redevelopment.
From the Trevitt Collection.
Photo credit: The Trevitt Collection





