Smith & Son, Victoria Street West, Grimsby; fancy tin for mixed pins c1910s/1920s (or earlier)
A sparkly tin. The original, stronger, purple colour remains on the inside.
Smith & Son, drapers, ladies’ tailoring and dressmaking, furriers, hosiers, glovers etc., were located at 9 & 11 Victoria Street West, Grimsby in 1890. In 1933 and 1937, the business was at the same address but was known as Smith & Son’s. By 1958, Guy & Smith’s, department store, had taken over the block between 9 and 23, Victoria Street West. Guy & Smith had been expanding since 1911. The store merged with House of Fraser in 1969 and was known as Binns from 1970. The store was later renamed House of Fraser, Grimsby. House of Fraser closed in 2020 and is still empty (June 2024).





