Women’s Land Army; Timber Corps official badge.
An original, silver plated, wartime badge for the girls known as ‘Lumberjills’. This fine quality badge was made by Walker & Hall Ltd., Sheffield.
The ‘Timber Corps’ was established in 1942 and disbanded in 1946. The ‘Lumberjills’ (or ‘Lumber Jills’) wore a standard WLA uniform but the felt hat was replaced by a green beret to which a badge like the one above, or a plastic economy issue, would by pinned. The brown plastic economy version of the badge, made by A. Stanley & Sons, Walsall, was slightly larger than the metal badge. The plastic badges were, perhaps, more commonly worn on the beret and the smaller, metal badges elsewhere on the uniform.





