Goldthorpe & Shuttleworth, ironmongers, Grimsby; a ceramic, toilet cistern pull c1900.
An original, ceramic flush pull. Goldthorpe & Shuttleworth, ironmongers, were located at 10 Old Market Place, Grimsby.
Goldthorpe & Shuttleworth went into business in c1895 and the partnership was dissolved in 1906. After 1906, the business became J. Goldthorpe, ironmonger, cutler, etc., 9 Old Marker Place. The Bolton Hotel (H. Smith) was at 10 Old Market Place. In 1921, the business was named Goldthorpe & Disney, plumbers and ironmongers, 9 & 10 Old Market Place. In 1937, it was back to just J. Goldthorpe again. In 1958, 9 Old Market Place was occupied by J. R. Cook, motor and cycles (and J. Maurice, ladies hairdresser) and 10 Old Market Place was occupied by F. A. Would Ltd., hardware, crockery, cutlery etc. (and also Co-operative Insurance Society). Chambers and their Tudor Café was next door. The location at 9-10 Old Market Place is now occupied by Sense charity shop, a much later building.
Research by Grimsby & Cleethorpes Museum.





