Third Class Dining Room, Emigrants’ Home, Grimsby c1910
Photo61of2,343

Third Class Dining Room, Emigrants’ Home, Grimsby c1910.

Grimsby

Jay Em Jay “GY” (Grimsby) Series postcard, c.1905–1915

This beautifully colour-tinted postcard depicts the Third Class Dining Room within Grimsby’s Emigrants’ Home, one of the town’s most important yet now largely forgotten institutions. Long rows of neatly laid tables, each adorned with potted plants, reflect the clean, orderly surroundings provided for emigrants awaiting the next stage of their journey. The lofty timber roof, tall arched windows and spacious interior reveal the building’s original purpose as a railway station, while the walls are lined with photographs and advertisements for transatlantic shipping services.

The Emigrants’ Home occupied the former Royal Dock (Pier) railway station on the west side of the Royal Dock, beside the Tidal Basin. Originally built by the Great Grimsby Dock Company as the dockside railway terminus, the building was converted during the 1870s into temporary accommodation for emigrants and could accommodate approximately 300 people. Over the following decades, many thousands of men, women and children from Scandinavia and northern and eastern Europe passed through Grimsby before continuing by rail to Britain’s western and southern ports to board steamships bound principally for North America.

Several shipping company advertisements can be seen around the dining room, including one that appears to advertise sailings to New York, while a doorway on the right appears to be marked “Second Class”, suggesting that separate facilities were provided for passengers travelling in different classes. These details provide a fascinating glimpse into the organisation of one of Britain’s principal transit centres for European emigrants during the great age of transatlantic migration.

This postcard was acquired in the United States, an especially fitting provenance for an image illustrating the emigrant journey. The reverse bears only the handwritten name “Olga Johnson”, offering an intriguing but otherwise unidentified connection with one of its former owners. Whether Olga Johnson was an emigrant, the sender, the recipient or simply a later owner remains unknown.

Published as part of the Jay Em Jay “GY” (Grimsby) Series, this postcard was produced by Jackson & Son of Grimsby, whose Jay Em Jay imprint became one of Britain’s best-known postcard publishers during the late Victorian and Edwardian periods. Although the company produced postcards of towns, cities and seaside resorts across the country, the “GY” designation identifies this card as belonging to its Grimsby series. Today, Jay Em Jay postcards are an invaluable resource for local historians, preserving views of buildings, streets and institutions that have long since disappeared. Together with surviving maps and photographs, this postcard provides a rare visual record of the Emigrants’ Home and of Grimsby’s important role in the great transatlantic migration of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.