Construction of Bull Sand Fort, Humber Estuary – 16 September 1917.
This photograph is one of a rare collection of nine images preserved by the Trevitt Collection, documenting the construction of the Humber sea forts during the First World War. Eight photographs record the building of Bull Sand Fort, while a ninth shows work on Haile Sand Fort (described in some contemporary records as Sandhail Fort). Together they provide an exceptional visual record of one of Britain’s greatest wartime engineering projects.
Dated 16 September 1917, as recorded on the original negative, this photograph shows Bull Sand Fort during the principal phase of its construction. The massive circular foundation has been completed and rises above the waters of the Humber, while work continues on the reinforced concrete structure within. Extensive timber staging surrounds the fort, providing working platforms for men, cranes and other heavy lifting equipment. A substantial piece of steam-powered construction plant can also be seen on the staging, illustrating the scale of machinery required to build a permanent fort in the challenging conditions of the Humber Estuary.
Construction of Bull Sand Fort began in 1915 as part of Britain’s First World War coastal defence programme. Built by C. J. Wills & Sons Ltd. under the direction of Major-General Sir G. K. Scott-Moncrieff, the fort was designed to protect the approaches to the Humber and the strategically important ports of Hull, Grimsby and Immingham. Although considerable progress had been made when this photograph was taken, significant work remained before the fort was officially completed in December 1919.
Few contemporary photographs survive showing the Humber sea forts under construction. The Trevitt Collection therefore preserves an invaluable record of the skill, ingenuity and determination of the engineers and workmen who created these remarkable offshore defences, which remain prominent landmarks at the mouth of the Humber today.





