Construction of Haile Sand Fort (Sandhail Fort), Humber Estuary – 1917.
This photograph is one of a rare collection of nine images preserved by the Trevitt Collection, documenting the construction of the Humber sea forts during the First World War. While eight photographs record the building of Bull Sand Fort, this is the sole image in the collection showing Haile Sand Fort, referred to in some contemporary records as Sandhail Fort. Together, the photographs provide an exceptional visual record of one of Britain’s greatest wartime engineering projects.
Dated 1917 on the reverse of the original photograph, this image captures Haile Sand Fort during the main phase of its construction. The massive circular steel cellular outer wall has been erected above the surrounding waters, while work continues on the reinforced concrete structure within. Temporary timber staging completely surrounds the fort, providing working platforms for engineers, construction workers, cranes and heavy lifting equipment. A derrick crane can be seen on the right-hand side, while building materials remain stacked on the staging, illustrating that substantial construction work was still underway.
Construction of Haile Sand Fort began in 1915 as part of Britain’s First World War coastal defence programme. Built by C. J. Wills & Sons Ltd. under the direction of Major-General Sir G. K. Scott-Moncrieff, the fort was designed to protect the approaches to the Humber and the strategically important ports of Hull, Grimsby and Immingham. It became operational in 1917, although construction continued until its official completion in March 1918.
Few contemporary photographs survive showing the Humber sea forts under construction. The Trevitt Collection therefore preserves an invaluable record of the engineering skill, ingenuity and determination required to build these remarkable offshore defences, which remain among the Humber Estuary’s most distinctive landmarks today.





