The opening of Corporation Road Bridge, Grimsby by Edward, Prince of Wales (later Edward VIII) in 1928 (Photo 1).
An original, unposted, real photographic postcard by Sid Burton, photographer, of 456 Cleethorpe Road.
The single-leaf Scherzer rolling lift bascule bridge over Alexandra Dock, Grimsby was built by Sir William Arrol & Co. in 1925. It replaced an earlier swing bridge. The bridge was formally opened by Edward, Prince of Wales (later Edward VIII) on 19th July 1928. The bridge is a Grade II listed structure. The bridge was closed to motorists in February 2023 for serious restoration work. It will reopen sometime in 2025.
Sid Burton (1894-1966) was a highly respected, top-class, professional photographer. His studio work and his commercial photography was known well outside the Grimsby area. His first studio was at 88 Albert Street. He then moved to 456 Cleethorpe Road and he later moved to 29 Abbey Road (corner of Wellowgate).





