Triumph GY.294 in Vancouver 1916
Photo1,969of2,344

Triumph GY.294 in Vancouver 1916.

Grimsby Fish Docks

A steel screw trawler built in 1907 by Charlton & Doughty Ltd., shipbuilders and engineers, Grimsby. (This yard was at the back of Doigs and part of it later became Doigs.) Off. No. 125067. 239 gross tons. The ship’s dimensions were 122ft. long, 22ft. beam and 12ft. 3in. moulded depth. She was fitted with triple expansion engines to compete with the latest and most modern vessels for Iceland fishing.

August 1907; delivered to owners W. H. Doughty & F. Bacon of Grimsby. July 1912; sold to British Columbia Fishing Co. London. May 1916; sold to E Kendall, Halifax, Nova Scotia. 1918; sold to National Fish Co. Ltd. (A Boutilier), Halifax, Nova Scotia.

GY.294 was christened ‘Triumph’ by Mrs. Fred Bacon, wife of one of the owners. (Edith Mary Marion Bacon, née Cockerill, born Brompton-by-Sawdon in 1872.)

In August 1918, the German Imperial Navy’s U-boat U-156, commanded by Kapitanleutnant Richard Feldt, captured ‘Triumph’ off the East Coast of Canada and used the trawler to get close to the Atlantic fishing fleets. The Germans sank several Canadian and American fishing trawlers. The Germans scuttled ‘Triumph’ once she ran out of fuel. This was the German Navy’s only attack on Canada during the First World War. The press in Halifax ran front page headlines about the “The Pirate Triumph”.