Grimsby’s new bridge opened by the Prince of Wales July 1928.
A crowded programme had been prepared for the Prince of Wales at the occasion of his first visit to the first fishing centre of Great Britain. His engagements included a tour of the docks, the inspection of a trawler, the opening of the new Corporation Bridge and the laying of the foundation-stone of a new school. The picture shows the steamship ‘Marple’ passing the new bridge after the Prince had opened it by operating a lever in the control cabin seen on the left. The bridge, built at a cost of £55,000, is of the type known as the rolling lift bascule, pivoted at one end and rising to the perpendicular to allow vessels to pass.
The bridge was built to the design of Alfred C. Gardner, docks engineer of the London and North Eastern Railway. The contractors were Sir William Arrol & Co. of Glasgow. The same contractors also built the second Tay Bridge, the Forth Bridge and Tower Bridge in London. They also built Keadby Bridge which was completed in 1916.





