Lady Henderson opening Kingsway, Cleethorpes 1906.
An original, unposted photographic postcard by the photographer Joseph Samuel Bullen of Grimsby who produced a series of photos taken on the day. An Irishman, Bullen worked in Grimsby and Louth from c1905 until c1937. His studios were in Freeman Street and later in Welholme Road.
The magnificent ‘Kingsway’ was opened on 12th July 1906. Lady Henderson was the wife of Sir Alexander Henderson, Chairman of the Great Central Railway (GCR) from 1899 until 1922.
John Osborne, food provider (grocer) was on Alexandra Road.
Maurice Wright, fruiterer, was at 64 High Street in 1909. From the photograph, it appears that he also had dining rooms at 40 Alexandra Road and other premises at 6 Alexandra Road.
The location of the scene is where High Cliff Road meets Kingsway with Brighton Street to the left. It’s the corner where Willy’s Pub and Brewery is today.





