A ‘Grimsby Box’ by J. H. Dobson, 149 Freeman Street, Grimsby c1920+/-
Photo258of2,343

A ‘Grimsby Box’ by J. H. Dobson, 149 Freeman Street, Grimsby c1920+/-.

Grimsby

A rare, original ‘Grimsby Box’ from the early part of the 20th century. ‘Grimsby Boxes’ were used by many railway drivers up and down the country to carry their sandwiches and tools. Paperwork could be carried in the compartment in the lid.

This tin box was made by John Hedley Dobson. The son of Charles, a coasting pilot, and Sarah Ann Dobson, John was born in Grimsby in 1866. He married Annie Maria Lusby in Grimsby in 1888. They lived at first at 122 Albert Street when John was a plumber and gasfitter and then became an ironmonger. Before 1901, John acquired an ironmonger’s shop at 149 Freeman Street. For a while around 1911, John had a second property at 151 Freeman Street. From 1911, John and Annie lived at 14 Clarence Terrace (now 69 Spectacle Row), Abbey Road, Grimsby. John and Annie had two daughters and a son.

J. H. Dobson was in business as an ironmonger for nearly half a century when he died in The Baptist Tabernacle Church, Victoria Street on 16th November 1941. Officials of the church decided that it would have been Mr Dobson’s wish for the service to continue. John was buried at Scartho Road Cemetery. Annie Maria Dobson of 69 Abbey Road, Grimsby died on 10th May 1950 and is buried with her husband.

‘Grimsby Boxes’ were made by at least two other companies in the town: James Duke Ltd., ironmongers, Bethlehem Street, Wellowgate and Fish Dock. George Hildred, ironmonger, 2 Hainton Avenue.

Research by Grimsby & Cleethorpes Museum.